Rainy River Outfitters
ABOUT / FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Rainy River Outfitters is located in Rainy River, Ontario, just north of Baudette, Minnesota. Our specialty is in full service deer hunts for big Canadian whitetail bucks! Rainy River Outfitters is a family-run guide service, with good hunting, good food, good company, and good times ready and waiting for you.
Rainy River Outfitters is located in an area of Ontario known for growing big, northern bucks. Getting big is a necessity of life for our deer to survive winter. Our hunting area includes over 2,000 acres, within an 8-mile radius from base camp. Sit locations are recommended to you by our local guides, who will review deer patterns, current weather, and other factors with you before each hunt.
We hunt mostly farm fields with brush lots, in a mix of box blinds and two-man ladder stands. We also have pop-up stands available. Shots are generally 100 yards or less with a rifle, and 30 yards or less with a bow. We are continually working to improve our sit locations, and in recent years have done a lot of thinning around bow stands to open up shots. That being said – most of our big bucks are shot in the thick stuff while nosing around for does.
Included in the cost of your hunt is our expert guide service. Communication with your guide is optimized by our two-way radios that are provided for each hunter for use throughout their hunt.
After your successful hunt:
Sit back and relax after your successful hunt: your job here is done! Our guides will assist with tracking, and your deer will be brought back to the lodge where we will field-dress and hang your deer for you.
If crossing the international border with your kill on your way back home, regulations require the deer to be skinned and quartered, with the hind quarters de-boned. Please bring your own cooler(s) to transport your kill. If desired, we do have local contacts who can professionally cape out trophy heads, and we also refer you to a local processor. Additional processing above field dressing is not included in the price of your hunt.
Hunters who are successful early in their deer hunt are welcome to stay busy by targeting wolf and coyote (please note: appropriate/additional tags are required).
Lodging & Meals:
Basecamp for your hunt is at the comfortable and cozy Tiboni’s Bed & Breakfast. Lodging is included with a minimum of a 2 (two) person stay up to a maximum of 6 (six) individuals. The B&B offers 3 bedrooms with 2 full-sized beds provided in each room. Enjoy a hot shower after your hunt or relax in front of the TV in our comfortable lodge common area, equipped with a refrigerator, freezer, microwave and comfortable seating. Check in at the lodge begins at 2PM the day before your hunt with check out before 11AM the morning after your last hunt. Click HERE for a list of packing suggestions.
All meals are provided! Starting the evening of your arrival, enjoy our famous hospitality and delicious home cooking! Full breakfasts will be served on the days of your hunt, bright and early to start your day off right. Upon your return to camp, dinner will be served on each night of your stay. If you choose to stay out all day during your visit, sack lunches are provided upon request. Meal times may vary to accommodate daylight hours to provide you with an optimum hunting and camp experience.
What are the upcoming Rainy River Hunt Dates and Prices?
Upcoming hunts and pricing are listed on the Dates and Rates page.
Show me the bucks!
We’ve posted a number of our trophy bucks in the Gallery page. The deer get big up here in the Canadian wilderness. It’s not uncommon for our guests to shoot the biggest buck of their life while hunting with Rainy River Outfitters!
Rainy River Outfitters Rules for Firearm/Archery Deer Hunting:
- 1 (one) deer per person. All deer must have a minimum of 4 (four) points on one side.
- Violators of point minimum rules will be subject to a $400.00 penalty.
- Wounding Deer- 1st time: Hunt is over for the day.
- Wounding Deer- 2nd time: Your hunt is over.
- No hunting scents are allowed at Rainy River!
Are crossbows allowed in both archery and firearms season? Can a regular bow be used in firearms season?
Crossbows, compound bows, and traditional bows are all legal to use throughout archery and firearms season.
What should I pack when hunting at Rainy River Outfitters?
Please review our list of suggested packing items.
What is included in the cost of a hunt?
Use of our expert guides, comfortable lodging at Tiboni’s Bed and Breakfast, and delicious home-cooked meals are all included in the cost of a hunt. After your hunt, our guides will track your deer, field-dress it, and bring it back to the lodge for you.
What is NOT included in the cost of a hunt?
- Hunting licenses and fees.
- Prices do not include Firearm / Bow Declaration Fee, Outdoors Hunting Card, Deer Hunting License, or Export Permit.
- Caping and processing. Please note, deer must be skinned, quartered, and the hind-quarters deboned prior to crossing the international border. You are welcome to process your deer yourself at our lodge. Our local contacts do offer professional trophy head caping and processing if needed.
- Transportation to and from Rainy River Outfitters.
- Transportation of your kill home. Please bring a cooler(s) to transport your deer home.
I whacked one early. Now what?
Successful hunters who tag out early are welcome to stay out in the woods to harvest coyote and wolf. The fishing in our area is also very good! Please note, additional licences are required, and may be purchased locally at Cloverleaf Grocery store in Emo, or at Service Canada Rainy River . Please note, local hours of operation may be limited.
How do I get my hunting license?
- All Ontario hunting regulations apply. For a detailed summary of all regulations, please carefully review the Ontario Non-Resident Hunting Summary Sheet.
In general, to hunt in Ontario, you must:
- Be at least 16 years old
- Have recognized hunting credentials from your home jurisdiction (or have recognized hunter credentials)
- Follow all federal firearm regulations around declaring and transporting non-restricted firearms
- Get a hunting version Outdoors Card
- Get all required tags and seals for the game you wish to hunt
You must carry both the hunting version Outdoors Card and licence tag whenever you hunt – and follow all hunting rules in Ontario Hunting Regulations Summary.
Rules for bringing a rifle/bow/crossbow into Canada.
- Canadian border regulations require:
- Passport or Birth Certificate & Photo ID
- A completed Firearms Declaration Form
- Trigger locks on ALL semi-automatic firearms
- Bolts removed from bolt action rifles
For more information on bringing firearms into Canada please visit the Royal Canadian Mounted Police Website. No handguns!
How do I get to Rainy River Outfitters?
The closest American town to Rainy River is Baudette, Minnesota.
1. After crossing into Canada, follow ON-11 into Rainy River, ON.
2. Stay on ON-11 E for approximately 6 miles (10km).
3. Turn left onto ON-621 N (signs for Big Grassy River/Morson). There is also a Lowes Building Supply Centre at this intersection.
4. Drive approximately 2 miles (3.1km) to the Tiboni’s Bed & Breakfast (home to Rainy River Outfitters).